At first, health coaching can seem like an easy business to start. You’ve got your health coach training, and you want to help people, so you just need to find some clients! But many coaches find that as their businesses grow, they end up in a tangle of technology with multiple different tools to run different parts of their business. A scheduling tool. A social media automation tool. Your website dashboard. It’s easy to find yourself overloaded with tools to run your online health coaching businesses – tools that may not make your jobs any easier! That’s why we interviewed practicing health coaches about their favorite tools and resources that they use everyday to run their health coaching businesses – to save you time and find the essential tools that really work for health coaches in 2016.
Best Coaching Tools for Health Coaches
As a health coach, you can work with one-on-one clients in person or online.
For online/remote clients, many coaches rely on that old standby, the telephone.
If you’d like to go online with your coaching clients and have the ability to record your coaching calls (which is a nice bonus for clients, so they can re-listen to their sessions rather than taking lots of notes), then you’ll want to look at an online tool.
Aside from the techie details of recording sessions, there are also coaching programs that can support new coaches.
“I was struggling with all of the technology. I started using The Coaches Console to consolidate all of my technology from having a private client website, my emails, newsletters, lead pages, contact lists are all in one place. Made it so much easier for me.” – Karen Grosz, Inner Savvy Wellness
Other coaches swear by Satori App to automate their coaching practice.
Best Organizational Tools for Health Coaches
Like in every other business – being organized is one of the most important things for a health coach. Being able to keep track of your ideas, progress on different projects and communicate it all with collaborators called a need for project management apps and organizational tools.
Ania Nowicki of Vitality & Food loves Evernote. “I keep all of my client notes, blog ideas, articles, etc. in Evernote which syncs between my iPad, iPhone and desktop and means that I always have everything at my finger tips and can work anywhere.” – said Ania
“Google drive has been a life saver for me in terms of planning and collaborative work. I have developed a virtual team working across time-zones and geographies, and Google drive makes this approach possible.” – Lawrence Mitchell, Raw Energy
Elizabeth Plant of Springtime Holistics says she uses her paper planner for to do lists, but turns to technology when it comes to teaching – in the form of webinars.
When it comes to online appointment scheduling and staying on top of your daily agenda, at Wellpreneur we found that Acuity Scheduling takes all the headache out of booking, rescheduling and canceling client appointments. With this app clients can book their own appointments and get automated reminders.
Best Social Media Tools for Health Coaches
Since the use of Social Media has become imperative, health coaches are now turning to services that help them maintain their business profiles and nurture their audience by posting trough multiple social media channels at the time and by scheduling posts in advance.
Fab Giovanetti adds that Buffer “is the best way to schedule your social media in an effective and organised way.” Fab calculates that this app only saves her over 8 hours every week, which gives her more time to reply to more emails, pitch more clients, and have more time off for herself.
“Buffer is my favorite way to create a queue of articles and links I want to share, and drip them out over time. This works really well for me since I tend to read things online in bursts, and don’t want to share them all at once. Just add them to your buffer, and it shares them on social media throughout the day!
HootSuite is an easy way to stay on top of multiple social media accounts from a central location. Forget logging into Facebook several times with different account – just log into your Hootsuite dashboard, update everything, and you’re done!
Edgar is a newer social media automation tool which enables evergreen posts – really helpful to promote your old blog posts and podcast episodes!”
Best Website Tools for Wellness Entrepreneurs
To set up your website go with the gold standard: Self-Hosted WordPress (NOT WordPress.com)!
You can get your domain name at GoDaddy, I’ve used them for a decade.
- TOP PICK: WP-Engine for premium, managed WordPress hosting including one-click backups, great performance and security.
- Hostgator for inexpensive, starter web hosting – I used them for several years as my sites were growing, but remember – you are responsible for your own backups!! Do not go without a backup solution. Try Backup Buddy if you’d like to setup your own website backups.
- LeadPages for simple, clean and professional landing pages, sales pages and email opt-in pages, and as of 2019 you can also use your email marketing tool ConvertKit to create beautiful landing pages.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- SEO keyword research to get more organic traffic to your website with Long Tail Pro. Check out this blog post on how to use SEO in your wellness business.
Website Disclaimer, Terms + Conditions etc.
- Get legally covered with these legal templates from Lisa Fraley: Client Agreement, Website Terms + Conditions, How Do You Know What To Trademark and more!
Best Email Marketing for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- TOP PICK: ConvertKit. ConvertKit will grow with you and makes it super easy to create email courses and offer multiple opt-in freebies. If you’re ready to create a second opt-in gift, or if you know that online is going to play a large part in your business – then go with ConvertKit from the start (or switch, it’s easy!) Use my link to get my special ConvertKit training and 1 month free!
- MailChimp is the best free option for email marketing. Easy to use, professional, and easy to setup one free opt-in gift for your list.
Best Productivity Tools for Wellpreneurs
- Boomerang for Gmail – I cannot handle email without this plugin. My favorite feature is ‘boomerang this if no reply in 2 days’… set that feature on an email, and you’ll get a reminder in 2 days if the person hasn’t replied to you.
- Canva is my favourite tool for creating great-looking blog and social media graphics and even eBooks, no design skills required!
- I have this Eiger Standing Desk and absolutely love it! It fits on top of my normal desk, and has a great design (plus standing up means that I can have little dance parties while I’m working – bonus!) Use the coupon code “Wellpreneur” to get free shipping on your Eiger Standing desk!
- Upwork is an online marketplace for freelancers. Hire a virtual assistant, web developer, graphic designer – whoever you need to grow your business!
- Zoom.us is my new favorite for working with clients online and for doing online group coaching calls and discussions. Awesome quality video conferencing and built-in recording!
- Evernote as my central to-do list and one single notebook. It also syncs across devices so I can access everything on my computer or my phone!
- Acuity Scheduling– Stop emailing back and forth with clients to set appointments, and have them book online through this tool instead!
- Crunch Accounting if you’re in the UK, check out Crunch for simple online accounting software + an accountant you can call at any time with questions!
Done For You Health Coaching Programs
- Coach with Confidence: A completely Done For You 6 Month Health Coaching program from Health Coach Solutions. Simply customize with your own branding and start seeing clients! Use the coupon code “Amanda75” to save $75 off the Coach with Confidence program when you purchase via this link!
- Fit + Healthy 30-Day Jumpstart: Use this Done For You program from Health Coach Solutions as an entry-level product or group program, just customize it with your logo and it’s ready to use! Use the coupon code “Amanda50” to save $50 off the 30-Day Jumpstart program when you purchase via this link!
- Become a Certified Holistic Health Coach with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. It’s where I studied, and I’m happy to answer any questions about the program, just contact me.
- Productivity Bundle are Practical Guides for Real-life productivity. If you feel behind, stressed, and overwhelmed all the time, or maybe you’re pretty productive, but you are looking for ways to grow, this is a good place to start getting more organized.
- With Food as Medicine Program you’ll gain a lifetime of knowledge on healing and prevention of disease using food and herbs as medicine. There is medicine in your kitchen right now, and it’s time to access it!
- Meal Planning App, a meal planning app that makes custom meal plans for your clients a breeze. Includes access to growing database of professionally photographed recipes, pre-made programs, grocery lists, recipes and prep guides and more. Everything you need to create beautiful meal plans, help your clients achieve success and grow your wellness business.
- Beautiful stock photos from Wellness Stock Shop will help you build your online presence and increase your brand awareness on social media. Use code WELLPRENEUR50 to receive $50 off annual photo membership.
- FMTV is like Netflix for health and wellness! From eye-opening documentaries to recipe tutorials to yoga classes and exclusive expert interviews, there’s always something new to watch. As a Wellpreneur you can also get a 30-day FMTV trial for only $1 by using this link.
Best Podcasts for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- Wellpreneur Podcast – The first podcast dedicated to helping you grow your health + wellness business, online (hosted by yours truly!)
- The Fizzle Show
- The Suitcase Entrepreneur
- Smart Passive Income
- She Podcasts
Must-Read, Inspiring Books for Wellpreneurs
- The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks
- The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte
- Herbal Remedies for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar
- The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris
- Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Finding Your Own North Star by Martha Beck
Free Training for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- Lead Magnet Creation for Nutrition Professionals: a guide to building an irresistible opt-in that converts.
- With 5-Day Blog Challenge Fill your blog with content your ideal clients will love (& share!)
- Guide to Find the Missing Piece in your Wellness Business
- Starting your Wellness Business Online in 6 easy steps
Did we miss one?
And what about you? What tools and resources do you use for running your business? Are you happy with your ‘perfect formula’ and current set of tools, or are you always trying to find a better way to automate your business? Share your favorite tools that we missed below!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you, and I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. I recommend these companies because I believe they have great products that will be beneficial to you. Please only purchase these products if you feel the same way.
Take the 5-day Blog Challenge Now!
Fill your blog with irresistible posts that your ideal clients will love (and share!)
Get Your Free Chapter of Wellpreneur!
Sign up here and we'll send you a free chapter of Amanda's bestselling book
Wellpreneur: The Ultimate Guide to Nail Your Niche and Find Clients Online
You'll also receive our weekly updates for wellness entrepreneurs.